Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fall off your fork brisket

(After we already started digging in and I suddenly realized I needed to take a picture!)
Years ago, one of my best friends, M, invited me over for a brisket dinner made with her favorite brisket recipe. I remember stepping into her apartment and being hit immediately with this waft of meaty goodness. Let's just say that waiting for another hour for the brisket to be done drummed up my appetite!

Finally, I got the chance to try the recipe out myself -- not only was it easy to make but it was delicious the day of (served up with potatoes and green beans) and it was equally, if not more, delicious days/weeks after as brisket sandwiches, brisket with rice, brisket on top of salad, and so forth.

Perfect for a winter day whether you are serving it just for two (with plenty of leftovers) or for a group (still, likely to have plenty of leftovers!) -- thanks M! enjoy!

M's Fall Off Your Fork Brisket

Ingredients:
5 or 6 pound brisket (have butcher trim some fat off)
1 onion (pref vidalia)
1 12 oz. jar of chili sauce
1 package of dry onion soup mix (2 envelopes inside; use both!)
1 can of regular coke (must be regular, not diet, or else it won't work)

What to do:
(1) Preheat the oven to 325
(2) Put the brisket fatty side up in a pan
(3) Pour both envelopes of onion soup over the brisket. Rub it in making sure it coats well

(About to rub the second side with onion soup mix... and couldn't buy just one can of coke, so measured out 12 oz from a bottle!)
(4) Pour the entire bottle of chili sauce over the brisket.
(5) Pour the can of coke over the brisket
(6) Cover tightly with foil
(7) Place pan into the oven for two hours
(8) After two hours, take the pan out of the oven and slice the brisket. It'll be messy so best to do it next to the sink or even in the sink if you have a big enough cutting board.

(9) Put the slices back in the pan making sure they are completely covered by the juices

(10) Chop the onion and add to the pan


(11) Cover the pan again with foil and cook for at least another 3 hours, until it is falling off your fork.

(12) Serve it up and enjoy!

I cooked my brisket for about 5.5 hours total, but I wished I had left it in the oven just a bit longer. So check on the brisket after you've cooked it about 5 to 5.5 hours (depending on the size of it) and test it out for consistency.

No comments: