Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"5 a day" Day 2: 100% Fruit Juice Makes Fruit Intake MUCH Easier!

Tuesday

Breakfast- Came prepared with my banana again today! AND I realized that 100% fruit juice counts so this led to: 100% orange juice (11.5 fl oz) + 1 medium banana + "strawberry" oatmeal (not a fruit) + skim milk. Fruit intake = 1.475 cups (OJ) + .5 cups (again, rounding down for the medium banana) = 1.975 cups.

Snack - This weekend, I threw together a makeshift snack of raisins, almonds, and shredded coconut (the coconut was an ingredient for my Tyler Florence coconut bread for "Tyler Florence Fridays"). So had a bit of this snack. Fruit intake = .5 cup (1/4 cup of raisins = 1/2 cup)

Lunch - Broke down and went to get soup... 12 oz tomato soup with bagel. Veggie intake = 1.25 cups (I'm assuming that all 12 oz of tomato soup aren't tomatoes, so estimating a little bit less than 1.5 cups of tomatoes). Looks like I'll need to be eating a ton of veggies for dinner...

Dinner - Fettuccine pasta from last night -- shrimp, zucchini, shallots, with added 1.5 cups of broccoli. At least I like broccoli. Veggie intake = approx 1.6 cups. (I ate the majority of the baby zucchini the night before)... and a glass of red wine. Oh wait, that doesn't count as fruit.

Total Intake:
Fruit: 2.475 cups
Vegetables: 2.85 cups

Tuesday = Success! I think I'm beginning to realize though that I need to start cutting back on the portions of my non fruits and vegetables in my meals, so that I'm not just simply eating MORE and instead eating a better balanced meal.

1 comment:

Anjali said...

oh nice. i think i am going to go on a fruit diet for a couple days when i get back from vacay to detox!