Thursday, December 29, 2011

October/November Cook Club Part 2: The Maple Syrup Cookbook

IMG_0034

The Maple Syrup Cookbook
by Ken Haedrich
Cookbook Score: 3.83
Top Scoring Dishes: Sweet and Sour Chicken Cashew Salad, Sweet Potato and Bacon Bisque, Maple Mustard Barbecue Sauce
Lowest Scoring Dishes: Roasted Pepper and Chickpea Salad, Maple Apple Pie

maple syrup cookbookAs explained under our Pumpkin Lovers Cookbook cook club entry, for October/November Cook Club, we decided to do something a little bit different...  At the DC Cook Club party back in September, we talked about how much we loved PUMPKIN and how awesome it would be to cook many things PUMPKIN.  Well, as luck would have it, our cook club member, Rachel, had a cookbook devoted to all things pumpkin -- the Pumpkin Lovers Cookbook.  To further amp up the autumnal nature of this round, Rachel also offered her copy of the Maple Syrup Cookbook for us to use for this round.  So we bring to you a flurry of fall flavors broken into two blog entries.  This first one is devoted to all our pumpkin creations (click here!) and the second one, here is devoted to MAPLE SYRUP.  In addition to the recipes from the Maple Syrup Cookbook, cook club members had the chance to make maple syrup recipes from our past cook club cookbooks.  These reviews are at the end of this entry -- the scores were not averaged into the scores for the Maple Syrup Cookbook. 

The Maple Syrup Cookbook introduced us to the very many things you can make with maple syrup.  Not just for waffles and pancakes any more, this cookbook offered everything from Orange Maple Chicken Wings to Hot and Spicy Shrimp Kabobs, Tawny Maple Cheesecake to the classic Sugar on Snow.  YUM.  Cookbook author Ken Haedrich also teaches us all about the process of creating maple syrup and profiled numerous maple syrup and sugarmakers.  I actually didn’t realize how much I loved maple syrup until I made some of the recipes from this book!

For your cooking pleasure, the recipe for one of the top scoring dishes:

SWEET POTATO AND BACON BISQUE

Ingredients
4 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
4 cups water
6 bacon slices
1 small onion, minced
1 1/2 cups light cream or milk
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Sour cream, optional

Directions
1.  Bring the sweet potatoes and water to a boil in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot.  Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.  Remove from the heat.

2.  While the potatoes are cooking, saute the bacon in a skillet, until crisp.  Remove from the pan; blot with paper towels.  Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of fat, then add the onion and saute for 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat.

3.  Working in batches, puree the potatoes and cooking water in a food processor or blender.  (Always be careful when pureeing hot liquids in a blender.  Never fill the container more than one-third full to avoid the risk of the lid blowing off.)  Return the puree to the soup pot, then stir in the onion, light cream, salt, maple syrup, and cinnamon.  Crumble the bacon and add that also.  Heat, but do not boil, and serve piping hot.  Put a small dollop of sour cream in each bowl, if desired.

And on with the reviews!
APPETIZERS

Amanda’s Maple-Glazed Chicken Wings
Score: 4.0

I really enjoyed making this recipe--it was very easy to put together, and the chicken was very tender. They seemed to be a hit at the party I took them to--there were many compliments, and the chicken was still very tender the next day. My only complaint was that the wings were not flavorful enough for me, which could have easily been remedied by marinating them a bit longer. The recipe recommended a minimum of 4 hours, and, due to time constraints, I only marinated them for 2. I would love to try this again, just with a longer marinating time.

SALADS

chickpea saladRachel’s Roasted Pepper and Chickpea Salad
Score: 2.0

I love the idea of this dish, but in reality it's just too much. Too many flavors that don't really work together, too many textures, and too much dressing. The cheese is especially jarring - so if you include it, cut it up really small. The leftovers were totally meh - the flavors didn't blend, even overnight. It was fun roasting my own peppers on my gas stove though, so not a total loss.

Comments from the DC Cook Club: “I liked the varying textures of the chickpeas, smoked cheese, and peppers.”  “Good side salad.”  “I didn’t expect it to be cold, but I really liked the flavor of the ham with it.”  “Delicious, bold flavors.”
IMG_0034Jackie’s Sweet and Sour Chicken Cashew Salad
Score: 5.0

I LOVED THIS RECIPE.  Not only did I add a new dressing to my repertoire (the recipe included a separate recipe for the sweet and sour dressing consisting mainly of maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, ground ginger, garlic…) but I just found this salad to be endlessly delicious.  The flavors were just spot on – chicken, scallions, cashews, celery, mixed with the dressing, tahini (I replaced this with equal measurements of peanut butter), and orange zest.  I wouldn’t have thought to add the orange zest, but it gave it a wonderful fresh tasting quality.  As a sidenote, the recipe called for 2 cups of cooked chicken… I took a short cut and bought a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket (which I ordinarily love anyways) and chopped up the chicken breasts.  Definitely will be making this again.

And some DC cook club comments:  “A little too sweet for my taste – I expected a more savory dish.”  “Love this –so flavorful – the orange notes are interesting and unexpected.  5.0.”

SOUPS

Julie’s Curried Pumpkin-Apple Soup
Score: 4.0

Yummy! This was a bit of a gamble but sounded too interesting not to try.  The combination of pumpkin and mildly spicy curry with the tartness of apple (and cider!) and sweetness of maple is unusual but very yummy, and even better on the second day.  The recipe called for pumpkin puree which is not commonly sold here in UK so I got to try making my own as well as the added bonus of spicing and toasting the pumpkin seeds for snacks - my boyfriend and I enjoyed these so much that I made some more the following weekend:)

I had some pumpkin puree left over which after a google search inspired me to try a number of other great recipes. Long live pumpkins and seasonal cooking!

BisqueAmanda’s Sweet Potato and Bacon Bisque
Score: 4.5

I really loved the flavors of the bisque--the bacon and onion made it very interesting. It was very rich, and a little sweet, so it definitely needed to be consumed in moderation. The recipe, while easy, was very involved, and required lots of attention. That being said, I had lots of other cooking going on at the time. I would love to try this again with a lighter side--like a salad. We had tons of heavy pumpkin and maple dishes at our dinner party.

BREAD / MUFFINS

Julie’s Lemon-Maple Zucchini Bread
Score: 3.5

I'd always wanted to try a zucchini cake/ bread recipe since I once had a delicious chocolate cake with surprise ingredient zucchini as a teenager. It was a bit painful to invest a whole cup of the home made maple syrup my friend gave me in Canada earlier this year but I liked the outcome - moist and fragrant with very understated sweetness. The recipe was easy to put together and I was impressed that with wholemeal flour but the bread still felt and tasted light. It was best fresh on the first two days while still moist and aromatic, a bit boring after that so would probably toast and butter any leftovers.

Maple-Walnut Oat MuffinsJulie’s Maple-Walnut Oat Muffins
Score: 4.0

I was excited about making these as I'm a big fan of oats (porridge or pancakes or cookies) but haven't really had much experience of making muffins. I was initially surprised because I was expecting sweet muffins and these were not, but after I got used to that, the muffins and I got on very well indeed.  I loved the wholesome nutty flavour of oats and walnuts and the coarse texture they lent. These make perfect breakfast fare with a cappuccino, or as an afternoon snack with butter and honey (kind of like scones).

ENTREES

Anjali’s Gingered Pork Medallions
Score: 3.5

This Asian-inspired recipe would have been much better had it not been part of a heavy pumpkin/maple menu. That being said, the sauce was tasty and made for an excellent addition to vegetables and rice later in the week.

SNACKS

Anjali’s Candied Popcorn and Nuts
Score: 4.0

This recipe was very easy and the result was a very addictive snack! I liked the saltiness of the sunflower seeds and popcorn along with the sweetness of the maple syrup and the hint of spice with the cayenne.

DESSERTS

Pineapple Upside Down CakeJackie’s Pineapple Upside Down Spice Cake
Score: 3.8

In my own nerdy baking way, this cake was pretty fun to make J  Breaking out my new-ish turquoise cast iron pan, I got to try a new baking technique -- this recipe called for boiling together butter, maple syrup, and sugar, gently placed the pineapples in the buttery goodness, and then poured the cake batter on top.  Popped the pan into the oven for about 30 minutes and then after two minutes of cooling, flipped over the cake to see the pretty golden rings of pineapple inserted into the spice cake.  The cake itself tasted pretty wholesome – made with some whole wheat flour and buttermilk, it wasn’t overly sweet.  The pineapple/sugar/butter/maple syrup mixture on top gave the cake a boost of sweetness with a touch of caramel.  The only thing I wished was that I had eaten a slice right out of the oven – I saved it to bring to our cook club party, so it cooled down by then.  But nothing that couldn’t be fixed with a quick zap in the microwave.

And comments from our DC contingent: “Moist and yummy!  I liked the crunchy bottom (top?) and the spongy texture.”    “Very moist.  4.0.”  “Moist and great fall flavors.  4.0.”  “This is a very good PUDC.  It’s just not my favorite kind of cake.  3.0.”

Rachel’s Dreamy Almond Bars
Score: 3.5

These are delicious, and a nice combination of two of my favorite flavors - maple and almond. I didn't calculate the calories for these, but the ingredient list kind of tells you everything you need to know. While these would probably be popular at a party, for that calorie load I'd rather have ice cream, or spice cake with maple frosting. A preparation note: Use a BIG pan for these. I used the bigger of the two pan sizes suggested in the recipe, and the filling still spilled over the edges onto the bottom of my oven and filled my apartment with sugar smoke.

Comments from the DC Cook Club: “Sweet and salty – I loved the combination and the crust was a nice shortbread texture.”  “The shortbread crust had a great buttery flavor that balanced the crunch and sweetness of the almond topping.  4.5!”  “In love.  Definitely decadent and can’t eat many more than… two in one sitting.  Loved the balance between sweet and slight saltiness.”  “Liked the combination of salty and sweet.  Very buttery.”

Maple Apple PieAmanda’s Maple Apple Pie
Score: 3.0

The name of this recipe is a little misleading. To me, this seemed to be more of an apple crisp than a pie. It had an oat crumb topping, which was very tasty, but the bottom had a pie crust. The crust got a little too soggy, and I would have just eliminated it altogether. Next time, I will modify this recipe either without a bottom crust, or with a crust on top, instead of the oat crumb topping.

SAUCES

Amanda’s Maple Mustard Barbecue Sauce
Score: 5.0

Condiments are pretty much my favorite food item in the world, and given that I am a Tennessean, barbecue sauce always catches my eye. So, this recipe seemed to be the obvious choice! This sauce was very simple to put together, and had many great components--mustard, garlic, of course, maple syrup. I made this sauce on 2 separate occasions, and it was a big hit both times. I think it compliments both pork and chicken very well. This one is a keeper!

And a dish from a past Cook Club cookbook...
Plenty

IMG_0042Sonia’s Brussels Sprouts & Tofu
Score: 4.5

The marinade was sweet and spicy and very flavorful.  I enjoyed the cooking method of the sprouts (cut into thirds and pan fry) as it made them crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.  The sautéed tofu retained a lot of flavor from the marinade and went well with the vegetables. 

DC Cook Club comments:  “Loved this dish.  Combination of tofu and Brussels sprouts was perfect, especially with Asian flavors.  5.0.”  “OMG SO GOOD.  I want to eat this everyday.  Any kid would eat these Brussels sprouts.  5.0.”  “Loved this!  Fantastic flavors and enjoyed the mix of the crunchy Brussels sprouts versus the softer texture (yet firm) of the tofu.  5.0.”  “Best tofu ever – really nice with the sprouts.”

No comments: