Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cookie Carnival: Summer Strawberry Shortcake Cookies!


This month for Cookie Carnival, we welcomed in summer with Martha Stewart's Strawberry Shortcake cookies! Oh yes, sounds heavenly doesn't it? I was excited to try this recipe. The cookies in Martha's mag looked so plump and luscious... well, I have to admit, my cookies didn't turn out quite so plump... or luscious. My cookies had spread out and were flat... BUT, the taste was remarkable. Very fresh, very light, and very summery.

I have to tell you though, the batter was probably my most favorite part of the whole thing. I could have eaten the whole bowl of batter by itself! (I might just do that one time).

I baked up only half the recipe because the recipe recommended not keeping them for more than one day. This worked out well -- came out to about 12 cookies.

THE RECIPE: SUMMER STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE COOKIES!

Ingredients: (for 3 dozen)
  • 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl.

3. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

4. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.

5. Using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes.

6. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool.

7. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

YUM! Try them out!

4 comments:

OysterCulture said...

Oh wow, these look amazing, and I've always had very good luck with any MS cookie.

Karen said...

Mine flattened out a little, too, but you're right, they tasted delicious!

NKP said...

I love the idea of strawberry shortcake cookies, I just love cooked strawberries.

Chaya said...

I didn't think your cookies looked flat but I did think they looked yummy. I don't know why but I never thought of putting fresh strawberries or any strawberries in a cookie. I have to try this.